Sunday, December 11, 2011

Top Ten Songs of 2011 (in no particular order)

Here it is kids! BRV's top ten fave songs of 2011. Click on the song titles for links to the actual songs.

1) "Hands" by The Boom Boom Box. Made up of all former Dallas/Fort Worth bands I grew up with, The Boom Boom Box score major nostalgia points, but their debut album is also pretty killer.

2) "You Got Me" by Taking Back Sunday. TBS have had some difficulty rediscovering their groove, but I believe that, like Stella, they got it back. This was my summer jam fo sho.

3) "N****s in Paris" by Jay-Z/Kanye West. Kanye is a douche, but the man can make some jams. And any song that sounds like the soundtrack to Halloween is a winner in my track.

4) "Natives" by Blink-182. Love these kids. Dark, aggressive, and just plain rockin'.

5) "Codex" by Radiohead. One of the most beautiful songs ever written. Of all time.

6) "Miss You" by Foster the People. This song really surprised me - I was expecting just another variation of "Pumped Up Kicks," but then the quasi-industrial drum machine kicks in. Equal parts tragic and pretty.

7) "Virgin" by Manchester Orchestra. A little pretentious, but one of the darkest songs to come out of Manchester Orchestra. This song makes me want to take over the world.

8) "Wrestler" by DIOYY?. Best hype song ever. Unabashedly partyawesome.

9) "Fragile Bird" by City & Colour. Straightforward rock jam. Ironically enough, I've always associated this with Southern rock...then I found out he's from Canada. Le sigh.

10) "Shake Me Down" by Cage the Elephant. This song makes me happy. Hopefully it does the same for you.

No comments: